Today was one of those curl up on the couch and watch Netflix sort of days... after a workout of course. So I did just that, but had a big pot of this delicious chili cooking up filling the house with an amazing aroma.
It's Autumn, so of course it's soup and chili season, but since I've already had chili twice in the past month, I wanted to conjure up a new recipe. On my grocery store hunt I came across a woman sampling Lentilicious and just had to try the three flavors. I ended up going with the the Red Chili over the Mediterranean and Coconut Fusion - mainly because of this recipe I had in my head. I couldn't wait to get home and start on this veggie dense and hearty chili!
I'm currently entering the second week of the 21 Day Fix Extreme, so I made sure to keep this recipe right on par with the fix. It's also VERY paleo and a just all around delicious even for those super hearty meat-eaters. I got the pineapple idea from a fellow paleo recipe and I haven't been able to make chili without ever since - the boyfriend actually requests it now! But if you're allergic, feel free to omit it, and there will be no purple container accounted for.
- 1 small organic butternut squash, 1/2 inch cubed
- Coconut oil for cooking
- 1 pound lean ground meat (I used turkey and bison)
- 1/2 a large organic onion, chopped
- 1 organic bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 tbsp garlic
- 2 - 14.5 ounce cans of organic diced tomatoes (no salt added)
- 1 - 16 ounce can of crushed pineapple AND 1 - 8 ounce can crushed pineapple
- 1 - 8 ounce bag of Red Chili Lentilicious (if you don't have access to this, use 8 oz of lentils, and season with 1 tsp chili powder and 1/2 tsp cumin).
- In a large pot, heat 1 tbsp coconut oil, add cubed butternut squash to soften and cover, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, add ground meat let cook all the way through. (Add more garlic, dash of chili powder and cumin for extra spice).
- In a medium sauce pan, follow brief directions for the lentils, about 10 minutes total cook time.
- Once the squash is softened, add chopped onion, bell pepper, mushrooms and garlic, cover and let cook about 5 minutes.
- Add cooked meat and both cans of chopped tomatoes. Once the lentils are cooked through (with some liquid remaining), add to the pot. (If you didn't use this bag of lentils, add more seasoning to taste (don't over heat it!).
- Let chili cook through with all ingredients for at least 10 minutes, on low. Serve and garnish with cheese, avocado, Greek yogurt (instead of sour cream), and cilantro if you wish! ENJOY!
21 Day Fix Portions:
This recipe yields about 10 cups of chili. Since this is so hearty on the vegetables, I thought 5 servings was adequate (really I could have eaten more it was so good). :) So, with 5 servings, each serving allots to the following containers: 1.5 green, 1 red, 1/2 yellow, 1/2 purple.
Now that I've created my very own 21 Day Fix recipe, I can't wait to make more! If you have any requests or ideas, please do share!